Tuesday 16 December 2014

Church bells

There has been so much bad news recently - Such a sad time for many people.  I find I'm often remembering the words of an old Christmas Carol, I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.  The poem was originally composed by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow during the American Civil war and had the title Christmas Bells.  Sadly, it is as appropriate today as it was then.  The two middle verses come to mind:

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth", I said
"For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth good will to men."

Then peeled the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

The beautiful sound of church bells ringing through a European morning has to be experienced to be believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment