Sunday 3 August 2014

Photography at 60 mph

Photography Challenge week 30: Drive

On Monday morning, when I saw the theme for this week, I thought "what great timing" as we were leaving on a 6 hour road trip across North Dakota.  I was sure I'd find something interesting on the way home.  That turned out to be a problem.  If I stopped to photograph everything I wanted to, we would still not be home.  So I decided to try something that I called "Photography at 60 mph".  I would photograph the countryside through the car windows.  My rules were simple - no turning around - no stopping - no second chances.  It was fun, and I managed to stay awake most of the way home.

The old schoolhouse standing proud against the new technology.






This was the first picture I snapped.









Grain elevators like this used to be in every town.





These "prairie giants" are disappearing from the landscape.  I was pleased to see these, though no longer in use, were still standing.














A farm service center that must have been a thriving business at one point.






I like this barn.  In my opinion, a barn should be red.

There is something wonderfully nostalgic about a small country church.













Vital to the community.



















Though we had a wonderful drive, what I was saw also made me sad when I thought about it.  Most of the photographs were showing a way of life that is dying.  I want to go back, take my time, and photograph these places properly, before they are gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment