Sunday 26 October 2014

A day at the zoo

Photography Challenge Week 42: Animals
I used this week's theme as a nudge to take a twice-postponed trip to the zoo.  It was a beautiful morning and a sparse crowd.


Visitors are met by some very co-operative snowy owls.  There is one of these majestic birds that makes a winter home in my neighbourhood.  I see it often, but by the time I stop my car, or walk closer to it, it's gone.  I wish, just once, it was as obliging as this bird.  On the other hand, I'm glad it's not.











Fortunately, some animals are in enclosures that one can reach over to photograph them.















This mom and her baby looked so content together!







How the muskox has adapted to its arctic environment is fascinating.
 


Some of the most entertaining creatures were those that wander about the zoo freely.  One has to remember that they are wild animals, and respect them. 




This peahen, one of many in the zoo, seems to be looking for something - a peacock perhaps (which I did not see).  











This little squirrel sat perfectly still on his branch as I came closer.  Perhaps he was glad for some attention in this place where most people only see much bigger animals.



 









Canada Geese are everywhere!













The bison are huge animals.  When I see them I wish I could be transported back in time for just a little to see what the prairies looked like when millions of these noble creatures roamed freely. 






"Zoo animals are ambassadors for their cousins in the wild."  Jack Hanna

No comments:

Post a Comment