Tuesday 7 October 2014

Little things



Photography came to me almost 2 years ago and has taught me to see the world differently.  There is an incredibly beautiful and diverse world out there that most of us never see.  Sometimes it’s because our eyes are not (or no longer) able to see the intimate details that a lens can see.  We see the beauty of the mountains, waterfalls, trees, city lights, etc., but we fail to appreciate the intricate beauty of small things.  Often, we just don’t slow down enough to see what’s right in front of us.  That is the greatest gift of photography for me - making me slow down and and really see the beauty around me.  I don’t know if my photos are really any good … it doesn’t matter.  What matters is the joy that overcomes me when I’m outdoors with my camera.  These are some of the photos I would not have “seen” a short time ago.  All were taken within 100 yards of my house.


 
This little frog was only about an inch long.  He did not move, and I thought he had literally died of fright.  I turned away for a few minutes and when I looked back he had turned around and was still watching me.  As I swung the camera around I was glad he hopped away.  I think he was just as curious about me as I was about him.








This particular day was not warm, so little creatures were not too mobile.  Had it been a warm afternoon, this grasshopper would have been long gone.















This is a common brown weed that grows everywhere.  My eyes see a brown weed: the lens captures the beauty.

















Photographing dandelions in the morning dew is the best way to start the day.
















Photographing golden leaves as the sun sets is the best way to end the day.







"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment: